How this document is organized
- A brief explanation of what official lists are
- How to:
- Further Information
A mailing list is a means to addressing an entire group of predesignated individuals by specifying only one address to electronic mail software. This is a convenience for contacting groups with whom one corresponds frequently, and is also useful for sharing information among people with common interests.
An official mailing list is a mailing list that is owned by a University department which is used to send official announcements.
The procedure for requesting an official electronic mailing list is documented on the following page: http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/newdocs/rams/newlist_req.html
Mail sent to official lists is redirected to a list manager, who will review it for appropriateness and may combine it with other information into periodic digests. Thus, an attempt to post to an official list is technically just a request to post to an official list, which may be granted or denied by the list moderator.
When sending a common email to more than one official mail list, please send to each list individually.
To see what lists are available for a particular post, see the following, which have been created for various campus and University-wide mailings.
- All Faculty and Staff, moderated by University HR
- For students, we recommend sending mail to the three campus-based lists. There is no single address for students across all campuses. See "Campus-wide students" below.
- For more targeted populations, see the "mailcode" lists below. The University-wide mail code lists are also moderated by University HR .
For definitions of the mail codes used here, see the Administrative/Faculty section below. These are the same mail codes used by Duplicating and Mailing.
- Camden has two major lists, one for administrative staff and the other for faculty: All Administrative is just administrative staff, including mail codes A0, A1, A2 and A3, moderated by the Provost's office . All Faculty includes mail codes F1 and F2, moderated by the Provost's office . In addition there is a list of Deans, Directors, and Department Heads (mail codes A0, A1, A2, and F1), moderated by University HR .
- Newark has a single list with All Faculty and Staff --> All Faculty and Staff. This includes all mail codes, A through G. In addition you can send to members of each mail code individually. See the Newark section below. These lists are all moderated by Newark University Relations and OIT Newark jointly. There is also a list of Deans, Directors, and Department Heads --> Deans, Directors, and Department Heads (mail codes A0, A1, A2, and F1), moderated by Newark Campus Communications and NCS.
- New Brunswick has a single list with All Faculty and Staff. This includes all mail codes, A through G. This is moderated by University HR. There is also a separate list for All Faculty, moderated by the the VP of Academic Affair's office and OIT NB jointly. There is also a list of Deans, Directors, and Department Heads (mail codes A0, A1, A2, and F1), moderated by University HR .
- Camden's all student list is moderated by the Camden Dean's office .
- Newark's all student list is moderated by Student Affairs and NCS.
- The New Brunswick campus sends weekly all-student mailings, coordinated by Campus Information Services .
In addition to the lists described above, there are special-purpose lists for the President's office and for public safety. In the listings, these are described as "President's", "Crime Alerts" and "Weather Alerts." These lists should only be used by the specific offices for which they were created. Complete Lists
We are in the process of moving from our general-purpose mailing list system, email.rutgers.edu, to a specialized mass mailing system, with email addresses at rams.rutgers.edu. The lists that have been moved to the new system are shown in the following:
Here are the old lists:
If you send to a list on email.rutgers.edu that has been moved, you should get back email giving you the new address. -->
Go to http://rams.rutgers.edu/archive/archive.cgi and select the name of the list that you want to see and click "View Archive". You will then see a list of the emails that were sent to the list sorted by date. The content of any item on the list can then be viewed by clicking "View".
For more information go to the following page: http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/newdocs/rams/list_archive_doc.html
If you are on a mailing list you should be receiving list email, along with your regular email. If you are interested in changing the way that you receive official list email see: http://www.nbcs.rutgers.edu/newdocs/rams/troubleshooting.html#receive
For more information see: http://rams.rutgers.edu/