When a Rutgers Connect account is created, the default email address the account will send mail from is in the format (firstname.lastname@example.org). This is referred to as your account's Primary Address. Some users may prefer to change their primary address to a personalized email address (email@example.com). Your Rutgers Connect account can only be configured for one primary address at a time. You can change and update this address at any time, however you will only be able to send email from your primary address.
To change your primary address in Rutgers Connect please follow the directions below:
- Go to http://netid.rutgers.edu and click on Manage Email Addresses
- Log in with your NetID and Rutgers Password
- Scroll down to the Rutgers Connect Account Information section and choose a primary Email Address from the drop down box. Click on Set Primary Address.
- Changes may take up to 2 hours to take effect.
- If you are migrating data from an existing email account into a new Rutgers Connect account, you must wait 48 hours after your migration has been completed before you can change your Primay Address. This is to ensure the migration process is completed successfully.
How to set your primary address in OWA and Mail Clients:
- Outlook Web Access (OWA) will automatically update your default address to be the primary address you selected.
- Outlook will automatically start sending mail from the primary address you selected. Please note that the "From" field in Outlook will still show as your sign in address (firstname.lastname@example.org) but your mail will be sent from the primary address you selected.
- Apple Mail will automically start sending mail from your selected primary address.
Please note that your primary address is NOT your sign in information. Your Rutgers Connect sign in address will remain in the email@example.com format. Changing your primary address DOES NOT change your sign in information.
If you would like confirmation on what your Rutgers Connect sign in information is, please visit the Manage Email address page at http://netid.rutgers.edu. Your sign in name can be found in the Rutgers Connect Account Information section.
The Rutgers Connect Account Information page will also show you the secondary addresses your account can receive mail at in Rutgers Connect. You will not be able to send mail using these addresses unless you select one of them to be your primary address.