Configuring the Microsoft VPN for Windows 98
OIT Main |
NBCS Main |
RU VPN Information Main |
Microsoft VPN Information |
Cisco VPN Information
What Your Computer Needs to Use the Microsoft VPN Software
NOTE: Use of this client is discouraged because the connection created with the VPN is not secure. The Cisco VPN Client encrypts all communication going out to the Internet from a users' computer. After making a vpn connection with the Cisco VPN Client other software on the connected computer (Samba, Microsoft Remote Desktop, RIAS, etc) can be run normaly and the connection will be encrypted.
- Pentium processor
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition operating system.
- A minimum of 10 megabytes available hard drive disk space.
- 16 megabytes of RAM.
Installing and Configuring the Microsoft VPN Software
The Micrtosoft VPN Adapter software is often installed in the Windows 98 operating system. If it is not, the software is available on the Windows 98 CD-ROM and online from Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191540.
- From the Windows 98 desktop screen click through the menus with Start, Programs, then Accessories. Under Accessories, select Communications then click on Dialup Networking:
- Double-click on Make New Connection:
- The Make New Connection Wizard will start:
- Click Next. In the next dialog box, enter vpn.rutgers.edu in the Type a name for the computer you are dialing text field. In the Select a device text field, use the pull-down menu to select Microsoft VPN Adapter:
- Click Next. In the next dialog box, enter vpn.rutgers.edu in the Host name or IP Address text field:
- Click Next.
- A dialog box confirming creation of a new Dial-Up Networking connection should appear. Click on Finish.
Note: The computer may need to be restarted. Make sure all media such as diskettes and CD-ROMS are removed from their drives before restarting the computer.
Connecting to the Rutgers Network with the Microsoft VPN Software
To connect to the Rutgers Network using the Microwoft Windows 98 VPN software:
- Click through the menus to the Dialup Networking folder as in Step 1 above, then double-click on the newly created connection. Click on the icon with the new connection name. For example, if the new connection was named vpn.rutgers.edu double-click on that icon:
- The Connect To dialog box will open, in which your Rutgers NetID should appear in the User name text field. Enter your Eden or RCI password. Remember, the password is case-sensitive. Note: Unless you are the only person using the computer saving the password is not recommended:
- Once connected to the Rutgers Network through the Microsoft VPN, an icon with two small computers will appear in the system tray:
Disconnecting from the Rutgers Network and the Microsoft VPN Software
Disconnecting from the Rutgers Network and the Windows 98 VPN software only requires right-clicking once on the icon of the two small computers in the system tray and select Disconnect.
Where Can I Get Help?
Contact the Help Desk on your campus:
- Camden: 856-225-6274
- Newark: 973-353-5083
- New Brunswick: 732-445-HELP (4357)