NOTE: Use of this client is discouraged because the connection created with the VPN is not secure. The Cisco VPN Client encrypts all communication going out to the Internet from a users' computer. After making a vpn connection with the Cisco VPN Client other software on the connected computer (Samba, Microsoft Remote Desktop, RIAS, etc) can be run normaly and the connection will be encrypted.
VPN, or virtual private networking, is used to virtually extend the Rutgers network so that Rutgers Staff who use outside ISPs (comcast, AOL, etc.) can use Rutgers specific services. The VPN is available to anyone with a valid faculty, staff, or student NetID.
This document goes through the installation and configuration of the Windows 200 VPN client.
Setting Up The Windows 2000 VPN Software:
Configuring The VPN Software:
- Right-click on the My Network Places icon on the Windows desktop and select Properties.
- On the Network and Dial-up connections screen double click on the Make New Connection icon.
- The Network Connection Wizard will start. Click Next to continue.
- On the Network Connection Type screen check Connect to a private network through the Internet. Then click the Next button to continue.
- On the Destination Address screen, in the area marked Host name or IP address enter vpn.rutgers.edu. After that click the Next button to continue.
- On the Connection Availability screen select the option appropriate for your system. Click the Next button to continue.
- On the next screen enter a name for the new connection (e.g. Rutgers VPN) then click Finish.
- Once the VPN Setup is completed the connection box will be display. Click on the properties button:
- In the Properties window click on the Security tab:
- On the Security tab make sure that Advanced (custom settings) is checked off then click the Settings button.
- On the Advanced Security Settings screen under Data Encryption make sure No encryption allowed (server will disconnect if it requires encryption) is selected.
- Also on the screen make sure that Allow these protocols is checked. Under Allow these protocols make sure that UN-encrypted password(PAP) is the only option that is checked. The screen should now look exactly like the following picture:
- Click OK.
- Click OK again to return to the connection box.
Connecting To The Rutgers Network Through VPN:
- Once the VPN connection box returns the following information should be entered. In the User Name: field the users NetID should be entered (in all lowercase letters). Then in the Password: field the user should enter the password for their NetID. Once this is done the user should click the connect button to make the connection.
- After the connection has been established the following dialog box may appear. You are now connected to the VPN.
- To disconnect from the VPN right-click once on the icon located on the tool bar and select disconnect.